I am a seasoned front-end web developer with ten year's experience designing, building, maintaining and hosting websites in an agency setting.
I interface directly with clients from initial enquiry to website launch and ongoing marketing managing every aspect of projects including estimates, expectation setting, scope changes and dispute resolution.
I communicate effectively taking the time to understand the client's needs and translating that into deliverable code.
Developing websites is very exciting for me. I relish technical challenges and really enjoy the creative design process. For me, building websites is the perfect blend of creative and technical skill. Customer service is second-nature, I am very comfortable being customer-facing and have 14 year's experience in customer-facing roles.
Commercially, I am an experienced company manager and am intimately accustomed to the nature of selling design, website and hosting services. I am very comfortable managing estimates, budgets and cashflow which helps ensure a good outcome for the project, client and the business.
Web Design Agency
I have won and worked with over 100 clients in 10 years managing and operating a small web design agency. These include Airbus and Welsh Government, Acosta Europe and NextGCom (in the run up to their sale to ARM) as well as a host of small and medium sized businesses from around the UK.
Of particular note are:
Maenporth Estate. I created their web presence and brand design from scratch. Worked together with the mangement team to launch their new holiday lettings business which is achieving ~150K in annual sales of premium holiday lets in Cornwall.
Benefit Answers. Designed and developed a lead generation campaign that uses PPC advertising and a conversion optimised website. It acheives 750+ converted 'claim leads' a year, ~5000 questions and ~3800 applications.
Bluebarn.life. At the start of the pandemic, Bluebarn's bespoke tailoring business had to be completely re-engineered online. I designed and developed an ecommerce website and created targetted Instagram advertising. The site regularly achieves monthly stock sales in excess of £2,500 excluding bespoke tailoring requests which are also generated by the site.
Ubalance. Working together with the business owner and Vewdoo themselves, we bought the Ubalance range to market in the UK with the ecommerce website and advertising work I undertook.
In the summer of 2020, I was accepted into YCombinator with a company called DID Inc. My friend and business parter Peter and I developed a passwordless sign in service which used public key cryptography. However, we later successfully raised venture capital for our communication product Memo.
The venture is now over but I remain an active part of the YCombinator community.
Media Development Manager - The Scout Association
Between 2009 and 2015 I occupied various roles for the Scout Association working as a Media Development Manager. This included writing and producing content, designing and editing websites, pitching stories to the press and producing and editing a newspaper.
The roles also involved managing teams of volunteers and suppliers locally and at international Scouting events. I travelled around the UK and to Canada in this capacity.
Broadcast Assistant - BBC Somerset
For about a year, I worked as a Broadcast Assistant for BBC Somerset. This involved producing light content, booking guests and - often with entertaining consequences - writing and reading the traffic report.
PR team at Excess Energy Communications, published writer in Watercraft Magazine and various local newspapers, fishmonger, hotel cook, baker, Crealy ranger and occassional Crealy Bear.
- Graphic design concepts, typeface, logo, brand identity, colour.
- User interface, customer journey, lead flow & process design.
- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop & Indesign.
- Rich, fluid website design.
- Image procurement.
- Digital illustrations (using Illustrator).
- Image manipulation.
- Taking design concepts to production code.
- MODX, Jekyll, Github pages, Wordpress.
- Foundation, Bootstrap, Tailwind.
- HTML Email Design & Development. Familiar with Postmark and Sendgrid.
- HTML forms, file uploads, nospam, Recaptcha, auto responses etc.
- Github and other version control applications.
- Basic command line.
- Svelte, PHP, React (very basic). I can navigate projects, read and understand the programming and develop layout in around the frameworks.
- Conceptual understanding of oAuth 2.0 and Open ID Connect.
- Paypal buttons.
- Stripe (some experience).
- Ecommerce software integration.
- AHREFS audits and health checks.
- Achieving 99%+ AHREFs audit scores.
- Content and link structure optimisation.
- Blog writing for traffic.
- Keyword strategy.
- Optimising core web vitals / Lighthouse page speed analysis to above 95 for mobile and desktop.
- Sitemaps, Search Console (Google & Bing).
- Schema.org & JSON structured data.
- Google Analytics.
- Goal setup, conversion tracking.
- Phone call and other event tracking.
- Privacy centric GA alternative: Plausible.
- Reporting tools.
- Understanding & interpreting the data to inform marketing strategy.
- Google Tag Manager.
- Adwords campaign setup & management.
- Microsoft advertising (Bing) setup & management.
- Facebook & Instagram targetted ads setup & management.
- Display ad design, setup & management.
- Some experience of generating revenue from Adsense & YouTube.
- Experienced with MailerLite & Mailchimp. Using templates & designing HTML marketing emails.
- Product Hunt launches.
- Hacker News, Indie Hackers & Product Hunt communities.
- Configuring Sendgrid SMTP.
- Configuring Domain Key Identified Mail (DKIM).
- DNS management.
- Domain purchase, transfer and sale.
- Moving websites between hosts.
- Changing website domains & implementing 301 redirect schemes.
- Plesk Obsidian.
- Plesk Backup and restore.
- SSL purchase, installation and management.
- Let's Encrypt.
- FTP: FileZilla & Transmit by Panic.
- Selling hosting contracts.
- Upgrading & updating CMS & plugins.
- GDPR compliance.
- EU Cookie Directive compliance.
- Advising on cross border digital sales taxes.
- ICO registration.
Customer Relations / Support
- MODX & Wordpress tutoring.
- Customer relationship management.
- Winning website project sales.
- Estimating for web work.
- Managing customer expectations, project delivery and launch.
- Dispute resolution.
- Communication between technical suppliers and non-technical clients.
- Client billing and payment schedules relating to project delivery.
- Excellent telephone & video call manner.
- In person meetings in or out of office.
- Excellent personal conduct & courtesy during meetings.
Commercial & Project Management
- Project planning & delivery to budget.
- Estimating, invoicing, payment collection.
- Negotiating commercial terms.
- Supplier & freelancer management.
- Bookkeeping & liasing with accountants.
- VAT accounting, VAT returns (Tax Made Digital) & cross border VAT.
- Trello / Kanban.
- Print sales.
- Designing for print using AI & ID.
- Managing go-to-print, liaising with printers.
- Knowledge of materials, weights, perforation, folding etc.
- Using Saxoprint.
- BA HONS Journalism, University of Plymouth, 1st class.
- 2 A Levels
- 10 GCSEs
If I am not building a website I will be skiing. If it is not snowing, I will be sailing. I have been known to Morris Dance enthusiastically and tread the boards from time to time in amateur panto and musicals. I also enjoy stage lighting, playing the piano and making things from wood. I only drink tea from a pot - this is non negotiable.
Working With Me
I am super nice. I am self-motivated and take the initiative. I genuinely care about those around me and build meaningful relationships with colleagues and clients alike. I take inspiration from Cal Newport for his thoughts on Deep Work and Digital Minimalism - both I think are essential to a having a healthy and productive relationship with computers. I like to use Trello to organise my work.
Please email me: richard [at] richardesigns.co.uk